Saturday, July 23, 2005

What's happened since I last blogged? (2)

What’s happened since I last blogged? Do you really want to know? Is this going to be a serial blog? (The floor is now closed to questions.) For the answers, grab yourself a cup of coffee and pull up a chair. Clothing optional. (You look fine in your tattered bathrobe.)

I’ve decided not to let this blog be a repeat of my diary that is, trust me, so dull I read it aloud to my wife so she can go to sleep. My family and friends deserve something more than a rehash of the week that was.

My brother Jack has encouraged me to get the blog news out to the rest of the family. Our niece Jeanne in turn asked about the Yahoo Writing With Humor website, as she wanted to check out the stuff I've posted there. All this has sparked a weeklong spate of blog related e-mail, which has been very pleasant.

(Why does spell-check question “blog” every time I type it; isn’t Word a Microsoft product? I think those people know what a blog is—can’t they change their stupid program?)

Let’s agree I won’t foist off disguised diary entries. It would really be better to post the few funny pieces I’ve submitted to my Yahoo Humor Writers Group. I’ve sent some of them to my family, usually just the ones that relate to the good old days as we like to talk about where we came from (Hidalgo, IL).

I would prefer to write something original—don’t I wish—each week and leave the diary/log/blog entries to someone else who leads a more interesting life. This may put too great a strain on your correspondent of course. By next week I may be reduced to sending links to news stories with “smart” remarks attached.

Hey, I actually like this idea; I may do that sometime particularly if The Greenup (IL) Press has a few good items. For those of you not acquainted with the Press it's a local weekly that has the lowdown on who stayed over night, who had Sunday dinner at Grandma’s, and a complete notation of doctor visits.

There’s no national or world news, thank you very much, just brief bulletins from the communities of Jack Oak and Liberty Hill covering what the columnists, their friends and family did the past week. I like to make “smart” remarks about some of the items. Not nice of me of course. It’s a pity the paper isn’t online. It’s probably my duty to share it with others.

One of my favorite examples occurred last year: “Mary, Jarod, and Christopher visited Saturday with Bill and Nancy T. Nancy gave Mary a permanent. Jarod spent the night.” At least Jarod didn’t have to get his hair done.

Yes, I may try that among other things. Until then, keep your powder dry and (in winter) coast across the bridges, as Dad used to say.

7 comments:

Danny Dunne said...

I'm not thrilled with my second entry; the last half isn't bad though. Well, there's always next week.

Now you can talk.

(Is it OK to comment on your own post? Don't you think someone should?)

Faithful Reader a/k/a Danny

Luana Krause said...

Hi, Danny. Your blog is great. You speak what's on your mind and from your heart. It's also very FUNNY!

You'll get no nitpicks from me ...

Anonymous said...

I for one think you should keep writting (although many may think I am prejudice being your neice and all) but I do believe your pieces are fun and witty. Besides its always nice to see someone brave enough to try and make this crazy world laugh. I for one will be a faithful reader of your "blogs". Sorry but if your looking for a constructive critic I am not the one. Jeanne

Danny Dunne said...

Dear Anonymous: How good of you to come clean with your identity! Thanks for the kind words. It's good to know you'll be a "faithful reader"; that will really add zest to these entries.

Uncle Dan (Yes, I'm her Uncle--we have no secrets at this blog.)

Danny Dunne said...

Luana: Thanks, Girl, for commenting at dannysplace (the name strikes me funny as though I'm a nightclub owner or something).

I appreciate your very kind words (again).

Danny

Anonymous said...

Uncle Danny, I am thrilled to read your BLOG. I check it everyday now and am anxiously awaiting for more!!! =-) What was Grandpa talking about when he said "keep your powder dry" ??? Roni

Danny Dunne said...

Roni: What a nice surprise to see you had left a comment after already e-mailing me! Love those comments and letters.

As for "keep your powder dry", I think that's a frontier expression about making sure your gunpowder didn't get wet so your trusty flintrock would fire in case of a bear attack or some other crisis.
It probably just meant: be prepared(the Boy Scout Motto, I think.)

Thanks for writing; I'm planning to make an entry each Saturday morning so check back tomorrow!

Uncle Danny